Dear Cooperative Member:
You are hereby notified of the 2022 Annual Meeting of Lynches River Electric Cooperative, Inc., which will be held via drive-thru on Friday, October 14, and Saturday, October 15 at the cooperative’s headquarters at 707 South Arant St. in Pageland. As last year, this year’s meeting will be drive-thru only, meaning members will remain in their car for the entire process.
Registration and voting for trustees and bylaw revisions will be available Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. You must be on the property by the end time on each day to be eligible to vote.
In accordance with the cooperative’s bylaws, a nominating committee, appointed by the Board of Trustees, met on July 28. At that meeting, the following members were nominated as trustees within their respective districts. Elected trustees will serve a three-year term.
- Theresa Hicks – District 3
- Harold Gardner – District 6
- Gary Sowell – District 8
Also, by petition, the following is a properly qualified candidate:
- Kevin Sims – District 8
In addition to voting for trustees, your Board recommends an amendment to an existing article in the bylaws. All revisions to the bylaws must be voted on by the cooperative membership. In Section 3.2, board qualification #5 states: “during the five (5) years immediately before becoming a Trustee be a member in good standing of the cooperative.”
The Board recommends that the cooperative add the following new qualification #6, which would define “good standing”: “Good standing” is defined as follows:
- be current in all respects with regard to payment of membership fees, additional payments and other obligations to the cooperative, and not be subject to past due twice (2) or disconnection once (1) of electric service within the past two (2) years prior to becoming a trustee;
- in addition to the required petition, candidates must attend a Board-developed educational program on cooperative history, operations and governance not less than sixty (60) days prior to the next Annual Meeting or have a minimum of three (3) years of service as an electric cooperative Trustee. The educational requirement will be offered at the Cooperative on two (2) specified dates prior to the Annual Meeting;
- must receive the NRECA Credentialed Cooperative Director Certificate within a one (1) year period of becoming a Trustee;
- must have attended one (1) Annual Meeting in the past three (3) years.
The business meeting will begin at 11:30 a.m. October 15 via Facebook live at Facebook.com/LynchesRiverElectric to act on the following matters:
- Report from the Secretary on members present;
- Reading of the notice of the meeting and proof of the due publication or mailing thereof, or the waiver or waivers of notice of the meeting, as the case may be;
- Reading of the unapproved minutes of previous meeting of the members and taking necessary action thereon;
- Presentation and consideration of information and report by officers, trustees and committees;
- Action on any business which may be properly presented or any adjournment thereof.
HAROLD F. GARDNER
The details are as follows:
- Drive-thru registration and voting
- Friday, Oct. 14th from 7 am-7 pm and Saturday, Oct.15th from 7 am-11 am
- Member will receive one gift per member number
- Chance to win $1000 bill credit and door prizes
- See the Oct. issue of SC Living for details