THERE IS NEVER a good time for a scam, unless you are a scam artist. A pandemic like COVID-19 creates opportunities for utility scams as criminals prey upon their victims’ fears.
Scammers may threaten you with everything from legal action to turning off power to your home. Utility scams can involve an individual posing as an employee of Lynches River Electric Cooperative. The scammer may use threatening language in order to frighten you into offering your credit card or bank account information.
Remember, during this crisis Lynches River Electric is not disconnecting power for non-payment; so don’t fall victim to these types of scams. Understand the threats posed and your best course of action:
- No matter their threats, never give them any of your financial information (card numbers, account numbers, etc.) Lynches River Electric would never ask you for personal financial information over the phone.
- Gather as much information as you can from that individual, hang-up the phone and contact the local authorities.
- If someone comes to your home claiming to be an employee of Lynches River Electric that needs to collect money, call local authorities for assistance and do not let the individual into your home.
If you have any doubts about your utility bill, contact our member care center at 843-672-6111.
Other scams to watch for
There are other types of scams consumers should watch out for.
- Government agencies like the IRS will never call to inform you that you have unpaid taxes or other liens against you. You will always receive this type of information in the mail.
- Do not click on the links in an email from an unknown sender or an email threatening action unless a sum of money is paid. Do not respond to the email.
- If someone calls your home claiming to have discovered a virus on your computer, hang-up. This caller’s intent is to access personal information you may be keeping on your computer.
We want to make sure you avoid any and all types of scams that could put you or your financial information in jeopardy.