South Carolina is a great state for hunters with many kinds of wildlife game throughout the state. However, there is always a risk of a good hunt going bad.
We encourage all members to be aware of electrical equipment and take necessary precautions while hunting.
Keep these safety tips in mind as you enjoy the great outdoors.
- Take notice of posted warning signs and keep clear of electrical equipment.
- Do not shoot at or near power lines or insulators.
- Know where power lines and equipment are located on the land where you hunt.
- Be especially careful in wooded areas where power lines may not be as visible.
- Do not place deer stands on utility poles or climb poles. Energized lines and equipment can conduct electricity to anyone who comes in contact with them, causing shock or electrocution.
- Do not place decoys on power lines or other utility equipment. Any non-electrical equipment attached to a pole can pose an obstruction and serious hazards to our line crews.
Visit the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources online at dnr.sc.gov/hunting to find out the season schedules, license requirements and other regulations.